Thursday, July 19, 2007

rare and semi-rare stuff

because I'm such a good guy, and mostly because this is what my (close to non-existent) free blogging time only allows, I'm restricted to giving you download goodies, just so I don't become a clogger (according to userfriendly.org, a blogger who stops blogging after the first 3 posts).

and so, on with the goodies.

REMEMBER, these links will die in 45 days, so download them now while you can.

First up, and I know, this is the mainstream in me talking. I guess any credible music lover would have had listened to Chris Daughtry by now. To start off, the acoustic version of Home, the album's strongest single to date. [DOWNLOAD].

I bless the day acoustic versions were invented.

Not a few years back, a nondescript CD fell into my hands. It contained a dozen remixes of Jars of Clay hits. They're very fresh to listen to, especially if you've just about worn out the sound of your Jars of Clay first album. My favorites among the lot were the Savage Flavor Remix of the carrier single Flood [DOWNLOAD], and the Fluff-Sav Remix of Blind [DOWNLOAD].

For the reggae in you, my office mate gave me this mp3 of Delroy Wilson doing Bread's Baby I'm-A-Want You. So much reggae fun. [DOWNLOAD]

Also from the same office mate... you remember your Seattle grunge days? I do. And if you went through that phase, you would surely remember that band called Soundgarden. Vocalist Chris Cornell has long since been associated with Audioslave, but somewhere in this life, he performed solo acoustic in Sweden. That performance has been hailed as a landmark acoustic performance of the decade. Get a copy, for the sake of your sanity. From that recording I bring you, Chris Cornell's acoustic rendition of Jacko staple Billie Jean. Amazing, I tell you. [DOWNLOAD]

Also for the rare and eclectic... the Christian music scene is buzzing (?) with the news that prolific (and rather quite activist) songwriter Gary Granada is ready to start producing Christian music again. Some of the people are skeptical, but I say that's actually good news. Here's a rare find for me, Gary Granada doing a Cebuano folk love song, Usahay. Ailene, I dunno if you have this, so come and get it. [DOWNLOAD]

For the past season of American Idol, I had no clear favorite. I had 2 or 3 that I liked, at least until Blake did his Bon Jovi song, You Give Love a Bad Name. That performance trumped any single one in my recent Idol memory (not including William Hung, of course). Even if Blake didn't eventually win, I know that guy is going places. Here's the studio version of his beatbox groove rock anthem. [DOWNLOAD]

This next one outplays any other dance music in my head (and mp3 player) today. You remember the dance step, groove with Chaka Demus and Pliers - Tease Me. [DOWNLOAD]

I had a heck of a looooong time trying to locate a copy this next Steven Curtis Chapman hit, so I assume it must be at least semi-rare. Anybody have a copy of the Abbey Road Sessions? I want. Here's The Walk. [DOWNLOAD]

Last but not definitely least, I have dug up my copy of this album A Twist of Marley. A tribute to the great reggae-mon, guitarist and producer Lee Ritenour's jazz fusion project has been considered a classic. It''s just a shame nobody freaking knows about it. I have a copy, and I'll be nice to anyone who asks. [pramis]. Here's one cut, a jazzy rendition of Marley hit Get Up, Stand Up. Enjoy. [DOWNLOAD]


For any music requests for my next batch of goodies, you can email me at johnhofilena[at]gmail[dot]com, ayt? Be kind, rewind.

4 comments:

leah said...

men, u do realize this is out and out piracy, right? i mean, seriously, it's like inviting the NBI to arrest you. you're not only violating the artists' copyright; you're inviting your readers to join in. enjoy your stinky cell (probably won't be too different from your house right now =p)!

Unknown said...

you should listen to your lawyer, john.

but thanks for the downloads!! WAAAHHOOOO!!!!

johnhof said...

leah: yes. no excuses here. but i say megabytes are megabytes. enjoy the music.

ailene: wahoo.

johnhof said...

leah: and just so you know, wjen you come over the next time, the apartment would most likely be squeaky clean. =P

hehehe.